Monday, September 28, 2015

Betsey Johnson: Fairy Godmother Of Fashion




I know a lot of people buy clothes like shopping for groceries; they are necessary and need to be replenished often. Not everyone buys strictly for the designer label either. When I am out thrifting, I do keep an eye out for those labels and one in particular is Betsey Johnson.



Betsey is probably the coolest person I know of from this planet. She has been a fashion editor, a fashion designer, has owned her own boutiques on and off since the 60's (Edie Sedgewick was her in house model for a short time AND she designed the clothing Edie wore on her last film, Ciao! Manhattan), she created sewing patterns for Butterick, took dancing classes and was even married to The Velvet Underground's own John Cale for one year.

Betsey even had her own line of 
fashion fabrics!!
Edie Sedwick 1969 modeling for Betsey's Boutique under the label Betsey Bunky and Bini c1969


As one journalist recently quoted, "If Betsey Johnson didn’t exist, we would have to invent her, simply to remind ourselves that fashion can be fun. She's the original wild child and set to paint the town pink!” 


When someone mentions Betsey I immediately think of youth and the color pink. Pink is Betsey's signature color and you see it on almost all her merchandise and boutiques.




Her clothes are fun and flirty, colorful and alive. I am drawn into her visual and soak it up like a sponge. Betsey has led a full and fantastic life. I am in awe of her and her magnificent style. I would love to randomly run into her somewhere in Manhattan and take a selfie with this fangirl! I would be tickled pink!


circa 1990


from 2014 runway show

circa 1985


Classic Betsey splits

No comments:

Post a Comment