Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Fit To Be Dyed


I really hate my natural hair color- It's kind of a dark, dirty blonde and makes my skin and face look pale and ashy. I have been dying my hair black for almost 8 years (minus the year and half I had breast cancer and didn't have any hair to dye)and I get tons of great compliments on it. However, since the cancer my skin and hair makeup have changed and coloring my hair with over the counter products really isn't an option anymore. 

I was diagnoised with contact dermatitis the last time I dyed my hair about a year ago. The dermatitis affected my scalp, back of my neck then spread to my arms and ankles. So ever since I have been wanting to dye my hair again but with some research first.

Anyone remember Fanci-Full from high school? The product that used to give grey haired old ladies purple hair? I have been thinking of trying it. However, it is very temporary and washes out with each shampoo. BUT it does not contain para-phenylenediamine, which is the most popular allergen in permanent and semi-permanent hair dye.


While I have been researching the best hair dye to use over the counter, I stumbled on some interesting facts about hair coloring. The first is that hair coloring was first introduced by using plant dyes as far back as the 1660's. Colors that were able to be dyed were black, gold, green, yellow, red and white.

Second thing I learned, but already practiced, was washing your hair prior to coloring put a protective plastic like coating on your hair and won't allow the strands to collect the color and be absorbed. I would usually go three days or so before coloring- the dirtier your hair the better it will take the color. Also a third thing was L'oreal is said to be the first synthetic hair color manufacturer back in 1907. 


Nowadays L'oreal has several haircoloring products. I can't say that I have tried any except the Excellence brand, but that was before my new allergy.

I think I would like to try some funky color like aqua or purple ombre with the Manic Panic products. 


Only downfall with these temporary dyes is you have to maintain them on a constant basis to achieve the look you want. If anyone has any suggestions on other brands I might try I would love to hear from you. But for now I will suffer through this and hope I find some alternative soon. In the meantime it is colored wigs for me!



No comments:

Post a Comment